Friday, July 9, 2010

The Omron HJ-720-ITC - A Pedometer Favorite

Using a pedometer really lets you know how much activity you are getting throughout the day. I used to think I was getting enough exercise just by my daily routine (which incorporated a good deal of walking - or so I thought), until I started wearing a pedometer. Now I know that on an average day (without trying to increase my steps) I only clock about 5,000-7,000 steps.

Wearing a pedometer makes me more conscience of how much exercise I get or need throughout the day. I've heard many times that 10,000 steps a day is all you need. Yes, it's all you need to maintain a healthy lifestyle, but if you want to lose weight you need to do at least 12,000 steps a day. There are many ways to increase the number of steps you are taking. Here are a few:

* Always choose the farthest parking space
* Walk around while on the phone
* Walk every aisle in the supermarket
* Put away laundry one item at a time
* Walk around (or pace) while watching TV

These small adjustments add up!

I've been using the Omron HJ-720-ITC for a couple of years now and it is still one of my favorites. There are several things I like about this pedometer:

* It is very accurate (I've tested it a number of times when I first got it)
* It is quiet (no beeps!)
* It tracks total steps, aerobic steps, distance, calories burned, fat grams burned
* It comes with software to easily download your walking record and watch your progress over time.
* It stores 7 days of information on display, 41 days stored in memory
* There is a safety strap so if the pedometer falls off, you won't lose it.

However you choose to increase your steps, the pedometer is a worthwhile and inexpensive way to do it. The Omron HJ-720-ITC is a little more expensive than some of the other pedometers, but its accuracy, reliability, and software make it well worth the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment